We have been experiencing technical difficulties with our online booking system. Please contact the bookshop on +44 (0)20 7472500 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to book via our website.
Saturdays, 27 April and 4 May
10.30am – 4.30pm
Over the course of two Saturdays, participants will be given a detailed introduction to ceramics using coloured clays, with time to work on personal projects and experiment with decorative techniques. Works made during the first week of the course will be bisque fired in our on-site kilns in preparation for the second class, enabling participants to focus on glazing and decorating their works.
Day one will cover a range of hand building techniques with a focus on incorporating pigmented clays, a method of applying colour directly into the clay itself. Practical demonstrations will cover slab building and using plaster moulds, alongside decorative techniques such as sgraffito and stencilling.
Day two will focus on decorating, finishing and glazing. Participants will have access to tools to refine their bisque fired work, as well as underglazes and glazes to give different finishes and effects.
• Finished works will be fired in our on-site kilns.
• This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics and is also an ideal progression from our one-day courses.
• All materials and firing costs are included.
• This course runs over two full days.
• There will be a break for lunch between 1.00pm and 2.00pm. Lunch is not provided.
• Participants on this course may also be interested in booking on our Porcelain Ware course as a way to progress their functional ceramic practice.
Full Price: £130; Senior (65+): £117; Concession: £90
Anna Beam will lead this course. Anna is a multidisciplinary designer whose practice spans textiles, paper, and ceramics. Originally from Baltimore, Maryland, Anna has been based in London since 2013. She is a founding member of Clay Collective, a ceramics co-op studio based in Hackney. Once described as 'low-fi yet cerebral', Anna's playful and irreverent designs often begin life as a sprawl of paint and cut paper before turning into 3D objects and pattern designs. Read more
The full fee is paid by everyone who doesn’t qualify for the senior or concessionary fee.
If you are aged 65 years or over at the start of the course you are eligible to pay our reduced senior fee.
If you are aged 65 years or over with a household income of under £16,000 you are eligible for the concessionary fee. See below.
The concessionary fee is available to attendees who are in receipt of the following:
• Pension or Savings Credit
• Aged 65+, with a household income of under £16,000
• Working Tax Credit
• Income Support
• Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Employment and Support Allowance
• Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payment
• Incapacity Benefit
• Universal Credit
• Housing or Council Tax Benefit/Support
• Carers Allowance
• Child Tax Credit and have a household income of under £16,000
• Full-time students with NUS cards
*Information gathered from updated government guidance: http://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits
Terms and Conditions
• Booking on a course at Camden Arts Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement. These are available to read on our website and at the Bookshop.
• Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
• Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
• All materials are provided.